Aug 1, 2009

"Airplane"








We've been playing "Airplane" for a while, so I thought I'd post a recording of it. For some reason, I felt like going all out with this particular arrangement. This recording uses different sounds from my keyboard and synthesizer, tons of echo, double-tracked lead vocals and three-part harmonies.

When we play it live, Lisa plays the three-note figure at the end of each line on her banjo, Devin and Maya play the long notes, and I play the guitar.

The melody to "Airplane" came to me in May when I was at home building a replica of Damien Hirst's "The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living." Funny where you get your inspiration from. As I recall, the lyrics came soon afterwards and weren't difficult to write. I've been wanting to write songs that didn't have a particular message, but just painted a picture. I decided to make this one about an overnight, probably international, flight. Possibly going to, or coming back from, a honeymoon.

Kate pointed out during a recent band practice that "Airplane" uses the same chord progression as Sixpence None The Richer's 1997 hit, "Kiss Me." I'm okay with that, because I happen to be a big fan of that song. In fact, I think we should play the two songs back-to-back.


Lyrics:

You and I
Oh my
An airplane
Red eye
A glass of
Cabernet
A glass of
Champagne

The outside
Late night
A plastic
Spotlight
The cabin
A cradle
The engines
White noise

(instrumental)

You and me
So sweet
In soft clouds
In dreams
Your head on
My shoulder
My head on
Yours

(instrumental)

No comments: