Jul 16, 2009

"Frankenstein"








"Frankenstein" was the first original song for Band Practice/Party! Designed to be easy to play, the song uses only four chords: G, C, F, and D. Over and over again. I guess I was also being influenced by Beirut, who uses a lot of simple chord progressions.

The lyrics are based on Mary Shelley's horror novel Frankenstein. In particular, I wanted to capture the moment that Frankenstein (the scientist) created the monster.
It was already one in the morning; the rain pattered dismally against the panes, and my candle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open...
So that's the beginning of Volume I, Chapter IV, which our Verse 1 is based on. Frankenstein had just spent the last two years working hard at creating life, and this is the culmination of his labors. Right now, he's thinking,
How can I describe my emotions at this catastrophe, or how delineate the wretch whom with such infinite pains and care I had endeavoured to form?
Well, Frankenstein, you can pick up a guitar and start singing this song.

I think it would be appropriate to film our music video at the Albany Bulb, a park that has a lot of artwork cobbled together from junk. I thought about doing it as a live performance (like La Blogotheque), but the strong winds would probably make that impossible.

Who played on the recording? Steven (lead vocals, guitar, percussion, toy piano); Russ (mandolin); Ciana (accordion); Lisa (banjulele); Molly (backing vocals, ukulele); Vijay (violin); Devin (trumpet)

Lyrics:

A wintry day of dismal rain,
Falala, it falls against
The window panes, the withered stains,
Tralala, the spark of feeling anew!

I have been waiting all this time to make you mine,
I have been waiting all this time.

So young and fine, sublime, divine
Are the words I’d use to tell
About my pride, synthetic bride--
Weialala, a portrait of my mind!

I have been waiting all this time to make your face come alive,
I have been waiting all this time as time goes by.

Everyday I live to bring me closer to you,
And through the window nature looks so heavenly,
But nothing compares to the beauty of my dream.

I have been waiting (all this time)
I have been waiting (all this time)
I have been waiting all this time. (I have been waiting.)
I have been waiting (all this time)
I have been waiting (all this time),
I have been waiting all this time to make you mine.

No comments: