Jul 15, 2009

"Sylvia"








This is a lullaby for children of the future. "Sylvia" is named for Sylvia Plath, one of my favorite writers.

The music came to me while I was riding a bus to work one day in January 2008. I had to scramble to write it down after arriving at the office, before I forgot everything.

Here's our official music video for "Sylvia", using NASA footage from the latest space shuttle mission.



Who played on the recording? Steven (lead and backing vocals, guitar, percussion); Russ (mandolin); Hilary (cello); Lisa (banjo, glockenspiel); Molly (ukulele); Maya (viola); Devin (trumpet)

Lyrics:

Smile, Sylvia
I don’t know when I’ll love again
But smile as you fly around the planet smile
As you count another year
Smile, Sylvia
The books I’ve read will come again
Alive, curious and waiting to be
Know your letters A to Z
Baby

Life, Sylvia
Won’t be so bad, won’t be so sad
Life if you stop and play in the middle of strife
If you sing a song when something’s awry
Sing

If they hurt you no matter how they try
If they push you there’s no need to comply
Turn the world upside down
And then you’ve found it
Go to sleep and

Smile, Sylvia
I don’t know when I’ll love again
But smile as you fly around the planet smile
As you count another year
Smile, baby, smile

No comments: